Monday, March 7, 2011

Distractions


Psalm 63


1 O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;


2 To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.


3 Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.


4 Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.


5 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:


6 When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.


7 Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.


8 My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me.


9 But those that seek my soul, to destroy it, shall go into the lower parts of the earth.

10 They shall fall by the sword: they shall be a portion for foxes.

11 But the king shall rejoice in God; every one that sweareth by him shall glory: but the mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped.

Distractions

The phone(s), the emails, the texts. Television, billboards, the radio. The kids, the spouse, new friends, old friends, teachers, family, church folk. Everyone wants your attention and they want it now.

Finding some down time, some quiet time gets harder and harder. I can remember spending hours as a kid alone. I am an only child, and I was a latch-key kid. I lived in a small town where I could explore the woods behind our apartment freely, without fear of, well of anything. I got to spends hours just being along. I could sit outside for hours and just listen to things. Now, seems like the only alone time I get is in the car (and then only if I can't find a good radio station).

Driving in this morning, I was looking at the sunrise and remarking to myself how beautiful the colors were. The Holy Spirit gave me a picture of God painting each new day with careful consideration of color, light, shadow and balance. All for pure enjoyment.

I love Atlanta in the springtime, when the Bradford Pears, Flowering Cherry trees and Redbuds all bloom at the same time. The jonquils and hyacynths pop up before we've had our last snowfall. There's a myriad of colors that look even better against a gray, rainy sky. Yet, as a biologist, I know that these colors serve no real purpose as far as the life of the plant is concerned. God made them beautiful simply for our enjoyment.

What's my point? De-distract.

Give yourself some time alone, with the Holy Spirit. Allow yourself the priviledge of being consumed just for a moment by the beauty that surrounds you. It was placed there for your enjoyment and should be taken in every once in a while. How else will you hear when God speaks to you?

Moses had to turn aside and consider the sight of the burning bush. Ezekiel found himself in a desert watching dry bones live again. John was in exile on the isle of Patmos when Heaven and the Lamb were revealed.

The Holy Spirit used David's Psalms to remind us time after time that we have to get away and meditate on God. Remember, your advisary just wants you to take your eye off God. He really doesn't care what you do, so long as you don't do God's will. A distraction is just as good as shifted devotion in his eyes.

Focus. Pull in. Ask, seek, knock. Taste, feel and know. Allow the Holy Spirit to have His way with you by making yourself available to Him.

My pastor makes a keen observation. Your will is yours - the Lord gave it to you. Our Father WON'T violate it, and your advisary CAN'T. So chose to lay yours at your Father's feet.

This Spring, let the new life be yours. We're ready to fill our garden at Fellowship. Won't you come be one of our choice fruits?

1 Kings 19:11-12


11 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake:


12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

Peace.
Evg. Stephanie Robinson

Lifeline is the evangelistic ministry of Fellowship Church in Jonesboro, GA. Feel free to share this message.

Previous Lifeline mailings can also be reached through the church website www.fcchosengeneration.com on the Lifeline link. For questions or to subscribe, send an email to fellowship_lifeline@yahoo.com. You can reach the church at chosen.gen@att.net.

Fellowship Church
Where Passions Become Reality
Because you are a CHOSEN GENERATION!

455 Hwy 138, Ste C
Jonesboro, GA 30238
Alton Watkins, Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment