Monday, January 24, 2011

I Don't Speak Mayan


Matthew 24:3-4

3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? And what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

I Don't Speak Mayan

As my son and I rode home from worship service, he informed me that the end of days was coming next year. We talked about what the phrase 'end of days' meant to him and I asked him where he got his date information. I knew he was refering to the billboards proclaiming a certain date as the end of time or the resurgent interest in the Mayan calendar predictions, thanks to that movie that came out a while back.

Dear ones, I don't own a Mayan calendar. I don't speak Mayan and I can't read Mayan. I have read about the Mayans and frankly, the world ended for many of their enemies when the Mayans invaded. There were people offered in sacrafices who's worlds ended pretty abruptly. And, if I remember my history correctly, there were probably some Mayan people who thought the world ended when their empires started collapsing in the 7th and 8th centuries.

I also know that every era of time has had people who called for the end of the world and yet, we're still here.

Jesus said no man nor angel knows the end. Only the Father (Matthew 24:36) knows for sure. Our real point of focus, according to Jesus, should not be on how or when the world will end, but on what we do while we're here.

Two encouragements: First, read all of Matthew 24 especially with your young people. You might be ignoring it, but they are being bombarded with 'evidence' that the world is ending somwhere between May 21st this year and December 31, 2012. When you're young, this can be the cause of alot of unnecessary anxiety. As Jesus taught, there will be definite signs prior to His arrival, which could be at anytime, but not one moment before His Bride (the Church) is prepared.

Second, consider your life and the lives of those you love. Are you prepared? Are they? Do you know Christ as Savior and Lord? Have you believed in your heart and confessed with your mouth? Have you been bold about your beliefs or ashamed? Will you be found wanting or working if He comes today? Tomorrow? In a century?

We are not supposed to shirk our responsibilities and act as though tomorrow is the end. We are also not supposed to carry on riotously as if the end will never come. As in all things created by God, there is a balance. There's an old saying: Plan like you'll live forever; Love like you'll die tomorrow. It carries some wisdom. Plan for your future with your health, your wealth and most importantly your soul. Set an inheritance for your children's children that gives them food and shelter, no doubt, but also a legacy of Christian service and life in Christ. Let those you love know it daily. Never leave them in doubt about your depth of feeling.

Follow hard after the leading of the Holy Spirit in all that you do and say. His leading will result in an incredible inheritance for your children's children and will lead you squarely into your eternal destiny in Christ. Following Him fulfills the other.

I don't own a Mayan calendar, but the Julian one I follow says today is January 24th, so this is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Blessings and peace.

Psalm 118:21-29

21 I will praise thee: for thou hast heard me, and art become my salvation.
22 The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.
23 This is the LORD's doing; it is marvellous in our eyes.
24 This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
25 Save now, I beseech thee, O LORD: O LORD, I beseech thee, send now prosperity.
26 Blessed be he that cometh in the name of the LORD: we have blessed you out of the house of the LORD.
27 God is the LORD, which hath shewed us light: bind the sacrifice with cords, even unto the horns of the altar.
28 Thou art my God, and I will praise thee: thou art my God, I will exalt thee.
29 O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.

Evg. Stephanie Robinson

Lifeline is the evangelistic ministry of Fellowship Church in Jonesboro, GA. Feel free to share this message.

Previous Lifeline mailings can also be reached through the church website www.fcchosengeneration.com on the Lifeline link. For questions or to subscribe, send an email to fellowship_lifeline@yahoo.com. You can reach the church at chosen.gen@att.net.

Fellowship Church
Where Passions Become Reality
Because you are a CHOSEN GENERATION!
455 Hwy 138, Ste C
Jonesboro, GA 30238
Alton Watkins, Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment