Monday, January 4, 2010

Seeing with Fresh Eyes


Psalm 23:1-6

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.


Seeing with Fresh Eyes

Ever look at something so much that you stop really seeing it? Maybe its the route you take home or the way you make your coffee in the morning. Maybe it's that report you've been working on for so long that your eyes start glossing over any spelling mistakes because you just aren't looking at the detail any more.

It’s easy to become so familiar with something, or even a person that we stop seeing what’s really there. And then, one day, you look at that book or watch that movie or see something in that person that you never noticed before. You're seeing with fresh eyes.

Psalm 23 is familiar to most of us. Plenty of people have it memorized. Frankly, there are those who do not know Jesus who may be able to quote this passage.

Today, I am led to encourage you to see with fresh eyes. Meditate on the Word of God. Don't just read the Word like it's a competition to get to the end. Let it resonate in your spirit. Give the Spirit the time and the space to reveal things to you.

What's written below may help get you started, but please, let the Holy Spirit lead you. You may start seeing things you never noticed before.

The Lord is my shepherd

A shepherd takes care of their charges. The Shepherd is responsible for the care, feeding and safety of the herd. Everything that happens to the herd is the responsibility of the Shepherd. Where they go, what they eat, where they rest, the young, the old. Everything.

I shall not want

Because Jesus is my Shepherd, I want for nothing. Food, rest, companionship. Nothing.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures

Even my rest is His concern. Because I have no want, I can rest in the presence of plenty. I find peace all around.

He leadeth me beside the still waters

Even what is unknown to me, what lies beneath the surface, is of no concern because my Shepherd leads me.

He restoreth my soul

I live in wholeness. If I find myself damaged by life or my own disobedience, He restores me.

He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake

Walking with my Shepherd, He takes me to places where He is glorified. It doesn’t matter what else is around, because He is leading me where righteousness is and it’s His reputation at stake, not mine.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil

It doesn’t matter what the situation looks like. He is leading me. I might feel the coldness of death, but I have nothing to be afraid of. It might be dark in the valley, but my Shepherd has me. I have nothing to fear.

For thou art with me

I am not alone. And I am not without a leader or guidance, or comfort. I can expect only to be cared for because He is my Shepherd.

Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me

Even if my fears get the best of me, or if I feel like I know better, my Shepherd will use His staff to correct my wrong doings or to pull me out of danger. There is no place I can go where he cannot reach me. There is no hole I can fall into where He cannot pull me back.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies

Favor isn’t fair. It’s given at the Hand of the Master and at His will. He can do whatever He chooses for whomever He chooses. It isn’t based on my behavior, but only on my relationship to Him. And, again, it’s His reputation, His name that He honors, so should He choose to do me an honor to show my enemies that He is God, it is His prerogative to do so.

Thou annointest my head with oil

My Shepherd sets me aside for His own use. I’m not just another one…I am His, sanctified. I glisten from His glory. He coats me with His fragrance infused oil so that I even smell like Him.

My cup runneth over

Whatever the Master has poured into me, there is more than enough. His mark on me isn’t just for my knowing, it is for all to see. He places His mark on me in such a way that there is no denying that I am His.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life

You cannot find darkness in a room full of light. When you go out at noon, it’s hard to find a shadow. Goodness is in the light because my Shepherd is Good. Mercy is in the light because my Shepherd is merciful.

And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever

I am His. I am a child, not a stranger. He has grafted me in, so my home, my dwelling place is with Him and in His presence. To know the Son is to have life eternal.

Hallelujah!!!

Sis. Stephanie Robinson

Lifeline is the evangelistic ministryof Fellowship Church in Jonesboro, GA.


Feel free to share this message. For questions or to subscribe, send an email to fellowship_lifeline@yahoo.com

Fellowship Church
455 HWY 138 Suite C
Jonesboro, GA 30238
Alton Watkins, Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment